The Libertarian Party lost one of its own today, Dr. Marc Allan Feldman, 2016 LP presidential candidate. Marc’s “No Votes for Sale” campaign exemplified what all campaigns should be like. His closing speech at the LP convention in Orlando in May 2016 gave us a picture of what a “Libertarian” should be.
Libertarian Party of San Francisco News
The Pride Celebration is always a big time for the Libertarians. It brings us back to decades earlier when “equality” was not even an "in" word, when you better love the “right” person, when others told you who you are. Way back then, Libertarians already felt in their hearts and minds that equality is a given, and who you love is your own business. Since its founding in 1971, the Libertarian Party has held equality and individual liberty as core beliefs.
- Latest news on the national front: Former governor of New Mexico and Libertarian 2012 presidential candidate Gary Johnson was nominated on May 29 at the Libertarian National Convention as the presidential candidate to represent the Libertarian Party in November. Former Massachusetts Governor William Weld won the vice presidential nomination.
The Libertarian Party of San Francisco lost a friend. Sergio Klor de Alva, an enthusiastic and affable 24-year old already a veteran of political campaigns of several local office holders, was killed in a car accident on April 26. Several of us at the LPSF had the pleasure of knowing Sergio, and were uniformly impressed not only by his efficiency but also by his friendliness.
- The Libertarian Party of San Francisco extends huge thanks to the participants of the 3rd Annual Panel Discussion - Bay Area Growth and Transportation of Sunday, April 10th. The room was full, the audience was most attentive, and the Q&A lively. Starchild did his usual great work as panel moderator, keeping the discussion moving but focused.
- Whether you are a long-time San Francisco resident, a new arrival, or are planning to take a job in the City, you will need to figure how to get around. If you live and work in the City, is MUNI reliable, or is there parking if you choose to drive? If you commute, are highways chocked with traffic, or Caltrain slow as molasses? Will you be able to drop off your kids at school or daycare, and still get to work on time? How about the cost of your transportation? Are those bonds that were going to “fix MUNI” “without any increase in property taxes!” performing as advertised?
- Libertarians are fond of pointing to consequences of a paternalistic state. Free healthcare, free education, free shelter, free MUNI all come at a price. In addition to the obvious price that somebody has to pay for what is free to others, there is the price of loss of control over our own lives.
- Young Americans for Liberty had their Second Annual Spring Debate at San Francisco State University on March 1, 2016. Teams of libertarians and progressives did an excellent job pointing out the downsides and the benefits of a managed economy. The truly free market vs. elected socialism.